12 Dec New Sydney Fish Market
SMC’s role in this iconic project encompasses design finalisation, value engineering, supply and install of all steel building piles and promenade piles within Sydney Harbour for the partly submerged 100yr design life New Sydney Fish Market:
- 260 steel tube building piles spun and driven into rock within the harbour ranging from 700-1350mm diameter;
- Piles compression loads up to 27MN, and tension loads upwards of 6MN;
- All installed within a temporary cofferdam lowering the water level up to 5m below natural level;
- Cut down and plugging of piles once installed, and supply and install custom temporary formwork support brackets to each pile for following structural trades;
- Temporary works for tower cranes;
- 246 steel tube promenade piles spun and driven into rock ranging from 610-711mm diameter, HDPE-sleeved;
- Staging and Temporary Works required for the works;
Fast-tracked design development process required SMC to almost completely re-shape the building pile design for efficiency in address of building load requirements. SMC has provided many value solutions, minimising steel tonnages, maximising off-site fabrication inclusions, and coordinating with other major trades.
Sea habitat works are also included, designed, supplied and installed by SMC via SeaO2.
Location: Pyrmont, NSW